Re: pulling cmake ExternalProject during guix builds

From: John Soo
Subject: Re: pulling cmake ExternalProject during guix builds
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 16:48:17 -0800

Hi Erik,

> Can network access be provided to the build container? Or, is there perhaps
> another low-effort workaround in guix?

This is by design. Network access would make our builds nondeterministic.

> As far as I understand, the only reasonable alternative to add the
> dependencies as submodules in the main repo? This will still work with the
> ExternalProject_Add pattern, but it adds an extra point of configuration,
> and users will need to use a recursive git clone, which is sometimes
> confusing.

You may want to package those dependencies separately and then include them as
inputs to your bigger package.

Which dependencies are they, anyways? Generally guix tries to keep vendored
dependencies out of packages.

Hope that helps,

John