Re: How to present Guix to a wider audience

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: How to present Guix to a wider audience
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 21:18:43 +0100

Hi Pierre,

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 at 16:33, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> - Computers, smartphones, etc. are around us.
> - They are used in research, banking, etc.
> - They can be used to store our private data.
> - They can be abused (e.g. maybe heard about Snowden).
>
> Carl Dong's video is the closest to what I'm looking for.
>
> I'd prefer a text format though.  Besides, if we don't want to exhaust
> the patience of our users before pronouncing the word "Guix", I
> think it's important to make it a very short read, say 5 minutes, or
> some 1000 words.

Ahaha! Good luck! :-)

My experience: I explained to friends or family who fit your list above:
 + trusting trust: with 5 minutes, it is ok using the
yogourt=yogourt+milk analogy;
 + asymmetric cypher, cross-compilation, torrent, etc.: with 5 mins,
it is ~okish too
 - Guix: I have always failed; even with 15min.

Even failed with scientific colleagues who uses classical linux
distro. For example, I did an attempt here [1].

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-12/msg00326.html

The issue is because each time my "audience" is too far from the
problems Guix fix. Other said, how do you explain why profiles,
manifests, roll-back, declarative stuff, etc. are so cool when the
"audience" only knows Word, Excel, Browser and some apps on
smartphones?

I do not want to be pessimistic but it is hard to introduce Guix for
general public.

> (Carl Dong's video is 16 minute long, and Guix is only introduced at the
> end.)
>
> As Ricardo said, I believe such a general presentation would be very
> welcome on Guix' front page.
>
> Anyone interested in writing such a text?

IMHO, a good start is to write down typical use cases/scenarii that
Guix solves. What do you think?

All the best,
simon