Re: How to present Guix to a wider audience

From: Josh
Subject: Re: How to present Guix to a wider audience
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 19:20:31 -0500

It is purist, and that's hard for a general audience.  To CS and math people, this is exactly the way to go.  The start is stronger.  Some of Ken Thompson's more worrying work should be included to convey our intuitive fear of this to the layperson. The second link may not be all that credible, but the story conveys what guix is meant to prevent, and fix.

http://wiki.c2.com/?TheKenThompsonHack

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-coders-worst-nightmare/answer/Mick-Stute?srid=RBKZ&share=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backdoor_(computing)#Compiler_backdoors

I think some of the buildup to the logical proof can be omitted, with just the assertion that with the elements of FLOSS, Reliability, and Trust are required and guix is designed to guarantee those would be sufficient for the audience.