Re: KDE + Guix as a package manager

From: Ekaitz Zarraga
Subject: Re: KDE + Guix as a package manager
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 11:42:11 +0000

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Sunday, February 2, 2020 12:59 AM, sirgazil <address@hidden> wrote:

> ---- On Sat, 01 Feb 2020 18:35:02 -0500 Jesse address@hidden wrote ----
>
> > On Sat, 2020-02-01 at 21:07 +0000, Ekaitz Zarraga wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
>

> > > I have Guix installed as a package manager on KDE-Neon and I use it
>
> > > for my tools but they are not found by KDE but they run perfectly if
>
> > > I run them from my terminal (my bashrc is setting the needed
>
> > > variables).
>

> > > I tried playing around with different files and setting environment
>
> > > variables but I'm unable to make it work.
>

> > > How do you manage that?
>
> > > Thoughts?
>

> > > Thank you.
>

> > > Ekaitz
>

> > > ElenQ Technology
>
> > > Ethical Innovation
>

> > Some apps don't generate a .desktop file. If an app does generate a
>
> > .desktop, it would be installed in "~/.guix-
>
> > profile/share/applications/". If an apps you use doesn't have a
>
> > .desktop there, report a bug.
>
> > If KDE isn't showing an icon for an app with a .desktop file in
>
> > ~/.guix-profile/share/applications/ then you will need to configure KDE
>
> > to look there for .desktop files. I don't know how to do that though.
>

> I don't know if KDE followsfreedesktop.org specifications about .desktop
> files and their locations, but there is a previous thread about this kind of
> problem; they modify XDG_DATA_DIRS to make things work (see
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-11/msg00020.html).

Hi,

Thanks! That was the variable I was missing!

KDE supports freedesktop.org but I needed to set the variables for the KDE
session and it was running before I was able to set them. The way to set that
is to add a script in `$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/plasma-workspace/env/`. I was able to
find this file but I didn't know the specific variable I had to set. Setting
XDG_DATA_DIRS there makes everything work.

Thank you very much for you help.