Re: How can I replace Python venv and pip with Guix?

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: How can I replace Python venv and pip with Guix?
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 13:09:25 -0500

 ---- On Tue, 04 Feb 2020 09:31:07 -0500  <address@hidden> wrote ----
 > Hi sirgazil,
 >
 > > Well, the profile is created and persists, but, after deactivating the
 > > environment, how do I start an environment that uses that profile?
 > >

 > If you just want to create a profile following a manifest file, just use
 >
 >     guix package --manifest="your-manifest.scm" -p
 > /path/to/profile-folder
 >
 > That said, the containerization features of `guix environment` can be
 > handy in other cases, too.

Yes, I just skimmed through the "Guix Profiles in Practice" recipe in the
Cookbook, and that seems to be what I should be using.

«[...] you can think of a profile as a kind of universal ‘virtualenv’ that can
hold any kind of software whatsoever, not just Python software.»

I'll give it a try.

In my humble opinion, the "Guix Profiles in Practice" recipe should be
converted into a section in the manual (called "Profiles"). I thought it was a
nice overview.

Thanks again, Moritz.