Re: guix pull: error: getting status of /var/guix/gcroots

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: guix pull: error: getting status of /var/guix/gcroots
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 15:02:40 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 14:11, Jimmy Thrasibule
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm building a Docker image in order to get a GuixSD by using the ``guix
> system docker-image`` command. See the Dokerfile at:
> https://bitbucket.org/x237net/guixsd/src/master/src/Dockerfile.

Instead, the issue should come from this file:

https://bitbucket.org/x237net/alpine-guix/src/master/src/Dockerfile

>     guix pull: error: getting status of /var/guix/gcroots: Operation not
> permitted

I do not have carefully look to your files, but the issue should be:
 - wrong permission
 - /var/guix is not exposed

> Again, I successfully built the image on different local systems and my
> other container [x237net/alpine-guix] which builds successfully on their
> platform also calls ``guix pull``.

My intuition is that your issue comes from this other container.
And it builds, pulls etc because your are inside. However, if
something is wrong then the command "FROM x237net/alpine-guix" does
not do what you expect.

I mean, if the container x237net/alpine-guix is correct, you should be
able to just run this simple Dockerfile:

FROM x237net/alpine-guix:latest
RUN guix pull

(modulo set the correct paths and maybe start the daemon)

> I guess they are reducing the capabilities allowed to their build platform
> but I can really tell what operation is guix pull attempting in this
> particular case.

Last, aside the "Operation not permitted", check if the network is
correctly setup.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
simon