Re: Port Guix to my Apple Aluminum PowerBook G4

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Port Guix to my Apple Aluminum PowerBook G4
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 09:20:14 +0200

On Sat, Feb 08, 2020 at 06:00:45PM +0000, Scott C. MacCallum via wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'd like to port Guix to my Apple Aluminum PowerBook G4. I understand that
> this is likely never to be an offically supported architecture, but I'd like
> to learn the process for freedom and knowledge sake. I have a few Intel-based
> computers that could aid me in this process. Could someone knowledgeable in
> such things point me in the right direction?

I personally have two G4 laptops and would love to have Guix as an
almost-supported architecture too.

The standard way to add a new architecture to Guix is to cross build
boostrap binaries for it¹² and to shove a reference to them into (gnu
packages commencement) in the guix sources. I have a non-working copy
here³ that I play with occasionally.

What are the specs of your laptop? I maxed out my ram to 1.5GB, which is
under the recommended minimum of 2GB, but found it close enough for most
tasks with Guix.

I suggest popping over to guix-devel also to talk about bootstrapping,
there are some people working on bootstrapping 64-bit PPC who would also
probably be able to help.

¹ http://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Porting.html#Porting
²
http://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Preparing-to-Use-the-Bootstrap-Binaries.html#Building-the-Bootstrap-Binaries