Port Guix to my Apple Aluminum PowerBook G4

From: Scott C. MacCallum
Subject: Port Guix to my Apple Aluminum PowerBook G4
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 16:54:02 +0000

"I personally have two G4 laptops and would love to have Guix as an
almost-supported architecture too."

That's great! Knowing that someone else is interested is another motivating
factor for me to undertake this.

"The standard way to add a new architecture to Guix is to cross build boostrap
binaries for it¹² and to shove a reference to them into (gnu packages
commencement) in the guix sources. I have a non-working copy here³ that I play
with occasionally."

Thank you for sharing. I will read each resource to wrap my head around the
process.

"What are the specs of your laptop? I maxed out my ram to 1.5GB, which is under
the recommended minimum of 2GB, but found it close enough for most tasks with
Guix."

2GB, which I think will be enough to proceed.

"I suggest popping over to guix-devel also to talk about bootstrapping, there
are some people working on bootstrapping 64-bit PPC who would also probably be
able to help."

Will do. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions to ask. :)

Scott
scmguru - irc.freenode.net