Re: How to declare a bind mount in the "file-systems" definition?

From: Matthew Brooks
Subject: Re: How to declare a bind mount in the "file-systems" definition?
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 23:14:57 -0500

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 21:41:55 -0400
Leo Famulari <address@hidden> wrote:

> You would add (flags '(bind-mount)) to the Scheme definition of
> file-system.

Yes, that much is mentioned, but defining a bind mount also requires other
things which are not mentioned in the manual page. Such as how to specify the
source directory, what "device" and "type" should be set to, and probably a few
other things that I'm forgetting.

For example, "device" appears to be a required field, but the manual says it
may only be:
>a file system label, a file system UUID, or the name of a /dev node
and setting it to a folder doesn't appear to be a valid option, according to
the manual.

I played around a bit with trying to get a bind mount defined, but the only
thing I was able to come up with that didn't error when reconfiguring was:
>                (file-system
>                 (device "/spinning-disk-drive-goes-here/tmp")
>                 (mount-point "/tmp")
>                 (type "bind")
>                 (flags '(bind-mount))
>                 )
but it failed on boot with:
>No file system check procedure for /spinning-disk-drive-goes-here/tmp: skipping
and lots of services failed to start, and I had to reboot and revert to the
previous config.

There is clearly something else required, but it doesn't appear to be in the
manual, and I have no idea how to get guix to give me any helpful info about
what all options are actually allowed.

> There's an example in this discussion:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2016-11/msg00062.html
>
> Make sure to read the reply from Ludovic which completes the picture.

Thanks. That does seem to explain how to set up dependencies pretty clearly.