Re: Guix development on GuixSD, recommended setup and process

From: 白い熊
Subject: Re: Guix development on GuixSD, recommended setup and process
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 13:59:23 +0000 (UTC)

Mar 31, 2020 14:32:26 Julien Lepiller <address@hidden>:

> Hi 白い熊,

Hi Julien:

Thanks for your tips.

> In terms of packages, they are the same: there is no difference between the
> hash of a package built from a git commit and a package built from guix
> (pulled at the same commit), so there is no more duplication than usual,
> especially since I pull every few days anyway.

But is the GuixSD going to pull in changes from the git — do they get
propagated soon? I thought the system is more “stable” in terms of not using
the latest git pushed changes.

> My system is always minimal, and I install packages in my user profile (or
> actually my home manager's profile).

I'd like to do this, but don't know how to go about in — could you help me with
a simple example?

I've read the “Guix profiles in practice”¹ webpage, but don't understand how to
simply implement them like this?

I know how to declare a system and install GuixSD. So let's say, I'll have a
minimal system. Now I'd like to have StumpWM as the WM and then let's say
Emacs, MC, and LibreOffice as user apps.

Should I have two profiles — one for the home manager with StumpWM and one for
shiroikuma (myself, the user) with mc, emacs, and libreoffice in it?

What should they be — I'm not experienced enough to write them. Where do I call
/ declare them, how do I then update?

Sorry for going so in depth — but if you could post the full profile text for
this simple case and give me guidance on how to use it, I'd be much obliged.

Many thanks! :@)
—
[1] https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/guix-profiles-in-practice/

--
Best regards / 宜しく御願い致します / S pozdravem / C уважением / Z poważaniem /
Mit freundlichen Grüßen