Re: How to specify custom remappings with keyboard-layout?

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: How to specify custom remappings with keyboard-layout?
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 03:50:38 +0200

On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 01:05:02PM +0200, Jakub Kądziołka wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 03:22:29AM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 03:05:24AM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> > > You could probably use an .xinitrc file like Arch or you could patch
> > > xorg-server to use your xkbcomp map by default.
> >
> > That is, instead of patching xorg-server, you would patch
> > xkeyboard-config’s xkb/symbols.  I have not tried.  Maybe better use
> > .xinitrc?
>
> That's not a terrible idea, though I'd rather have it apply even before
> I'm logged in. (I previously mentioned GDM, though I now realize that I
> actually use SLiM.) Is there an equivalent file I could use to run a
> command when the login manager is starting?
>
> Regards,
> Jakub Kądziołka

I thought it was sufficient to add the files both to your home
directory and to root’s because SLIM is run as root.

But: Actually it seems the gnu/services/xorg.scm is defined in a way
that does not run ~/.xinitrc.  Sorry for not being helpful.  I tried
but was *not* able to modify gnu/services/xorg.scm to run xkbcomp on a
custom ~/.Xkeymap file, although manual execution after the session
started works fine.  Changing the xinitrc does not appear to work.

The attached changes are insufficient.

Regards,
Florian