Re: Building installation image for ROCK64

From: Simon South
Subject: Re: Building installation image for ROCK64
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 12:25:55 -0400

Pierre Langlois <address@hidden> writes:
> You probably noticed this takes a *long* time to run, making it quite
> tedious to test changes (I believe this is being worked on though).
>
> In the meanwhile, what you can do instead is setup the SD card
> manually...

Thanks, this should be a BIG help. It takes around three hours and
twenty minutes to build a new image on the ROCK64 itself which, as you
say, slows down testing considerably. (I assume the main reason is that
KVM support is explicitly disabled for aarch64 in gnu/system/vm.scm, but
that's a separate issue.)

> It was quite some back-and-forth to figure out what was needed. What I
> did was to boot a different distro, I think it was Arch at the time, and
> look at the dmesg output to see what drivers were loading that I didn't
> see with guix.

This sounds like a good plan.

Thanks very much for the tips, Pierre. I'll give them all a shot and
report the results.

--
Simon South
address@hidden