Re: Scanner / SANE driver support

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: Scanner / SANE driver support
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 22:51:20 +0000

 ---- On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 18:39:30 +0000 Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden>
wrote ----
 > Hi!
 >
 > I'm trying to installer a scanner on Guix System and

 > scanimage -L
 >
 > does not find anything.
 >
 > A few drivers are available in sane-backends.
 > I've enabled the sane-service.
 >
 > Questions:
 >
 > - Are we supposed to add the desired users to the 'scanner' group?
 >
 > - How are the backends found?  I don't see any environment variable.
 >   According to https://nixos.wiki/wiki/Scanners, SANE would look up
 >   LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
 >
 > Any success running scanners on Guix?

Yes. I use a scanner and I don't have to add anything special to my OS
configuration. I just start Simple Scan, and the application detects the
scanner. My user is not in the "scanner" group.

But the scanner works like this only recently. Before, I had to follow these
instructions: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38064#11

Also, check that all cables are plugged properly.