RE: [EXTERNAL]Re: How should I be running `npm install …`?

From: Josh Marshall
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL]Re: How should I be running `npm install …`?
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 15:13:57 +0000

This gets me what I need – thanks!

________________________________
From: Vivien Kraus <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2020 11:06:15 AM
To: Josh Marshall <address@hidden>; help-guix <address@hidden>
Subject: [EXTERNAL]Re: How should I be running `npm install …`?

Hello!

Le jeudi 30 avril 2020 à 14:59 +0000, Josh Marshall a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> The is my work email, I’m usually on IRC as “anadon”.  My laptop
> broke, so please humor the account change.
>
> Following the guide at
> https://medium.com/jeremy-keeshin/hello-world-for-javascript-with-npm-modules-in-the-browser-6020f82d1072
> , I’m trying to run `npm install -g browserify` with the output
> below.  This is something others have certainly run into, but a quick
> google search does not turn up any useful results.  How should I be
> doing this?

I am a mere guix user, so you may want to have another answer.

You cannot install anything globally with NPM in guix, because NPM is
installed in a read-only location (/gnu/store/).  This is required for
guix to work correctly.

You can use this trick:
https://github.com/sindresorhus/guides/blob/master/npm-global-without-sudo.md

Basically, it tells NPM to install to your home directory.  So that it
is still installed in a central location, but this location is read-
write.

Vivien

---

The information in this email, including attachments, may be confidential and
is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you believe you received this email
by mistake, please notify the sender by return email as soon as possible.