Re: guix system boot time

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: guix system boot time
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 16:32:33 -0400

Welcome and thanks for trying Guix!

On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 10:09:10PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> The only small problem is the system startup, which takes a long time (3
> minutes from grub to GDM user login). It is probably due to a problem with
> the system clock (I get somes warnings: ntpd clock unsynchronized). I don't
> know where the boot log is on guix system and I don't know if it has to do
> with GNU bug report logs - #22274.

I have Guix on an X200 (basically the same as yours) and I can confirm,
it's slow.

I don't think it's related to ntpd. I see the same warnings but the
system displays the login prompt before they are resolved.

Generally, the issue is that the Shepherd is not optimized to the degree
that systemd is, and that these old Thinkpads (sold in 2008) are really
slow by contemporary standards.

One of the early selling points of systemd was that it reduced boot
times from being measured in minutes, which used to be typical, to
seconds. Now systemd is the standard, and minutes-long booting seems
incredibly and unreasonably slow.