Re: guix system boot time

From: christophe . pisteur
Subject: Re: guix system boot time
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 23:48:01 +0200

Le 02.05.2020 23:06, sirgazil a écrit :
---- On Sun, 03 May 2020 03:32:33 +0000 Leo Famulari
<address@hidden> wrote ----
 > Welcome and thanks for trying Guix!

:-) Guix is very exciting.

address@hidden wrote:
> > The only small problem is the system startup, which takes a long time (3 > > minutes from grub to GDM user login). It is probably due to a problem with > > the system clock (I get somes warnings: ntpd clock unsynchronized). I don't > > know where the boot log is on guix system and I don't know if it has to do
 > > with GNU bug report logs - #22274.
 >
> I have Guix on an X200 (basically the same as yours) and I can confirm,
 > it's slow.
 >
 > I don't think it's related to ntpd. I see the same warnings but the
 > system displays the login prompt before they are resolved.
 >
> Generally, the issue is that the Shepherd is not optimized to the degree > that systemd is, and that these old Thinkpads (sold in 2008) are really
 > slow by contemporary standards.
 >
 > One of the early selling points of systemd was that it reduced boot
 > times from being measured in minutes, which used to be typical, to
 > seconds. Now systemd is the standard, and minutes-long booting seems
 > incredibly and unreasonably slow.

Guix System: Very long, scary boot time: http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/39089

I understand. Anyway, boot time is not a problem for me: I just thought that something did not work in the installation of the system. Indeed, the start-up is confusing (the duration and also some lines are startling), but then, the system is really very fast: that's essential!

Thank you for your answers.

Christophe