Appropriate way to use Guix API from a Guile program

From: sirgazil
Subject: Appropriate way to use Guix API from a Guile program
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 16:38:02 -0500

Hi,

I use Guix's GNU system.

I had written a Guile script that called Guix procedures to manipulate
profiles. I put it in a Guix package in a custom channel and installed it. It
used to work, but now it fails with an error I can also reproduce when trying
to do something similar from a Guile REPL. For instance:

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
$ mkdir profile-x
$ guile
GNU Guile 3.0.2
[...]
scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (guix scripts package))
scheme@(guile-user)> (guix-package "-m" "manifest.scm" "-p"
"profile-x/profile-x")
error: glibc-bootstrap-system-2.2.5.patch: patch not found
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

This error is familiar. I got it in a slightly different context before when
running the guix command directly from a terminal
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-05/msg00045.html).

In the context of Guile scripting, how do I know which Guix is being imported?

Also, I didn't include guix as an input in the Guix package of the script
(though it worked). Thinking that it could make a difference, I tried adding
guix as an input, pulled the new package definition, upgraded the package, ran
the script, but got the same error.

---
https://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/