Re: Vanilla Firefox recipe?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Vanilla Firefox recipe?
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 16:26:18 +0200

Chris,

Christopher Lemmer Webber 写道:
Am I missing something? What makes Firefox itself nonfree (which I think is not quite the same thing as not compliant with the FSDG)?

Nothing. There seems to be a misunderstanding that Mozilla's trademark policy makes the Firefox source code less or non-free, which isn't true. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Mozilla; there's no need to change the definition of free software or the FSDG to serve that agenda.

I think you and Carlo have summarised it well: it's free software (yay!) but needs to be made FSDG-compliant (making doubly sure we rip out malware hooks like ‘EME’) to ship with Guix under a different name to protect Mozilla's brand. I hope we call it Iceweasel like Debian does to avoid confusion, but it will be as vanilla as the FSDG allows.

Kind regards,

T G-R