Re: Guix Docker image inflation

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guix Docker image inflation
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 11:37:05 +0200

Dear Stephen,

On Sat, 30 May 2020 at 19:13, Stephen Scheck <singularsyntax@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, it is not layers - they are a symptom, not the cause. See my reply to
> Chris.
> The problem is clearly that Guix isn't deleting garbage files ... which may
> have something
> to do with how Guix interacts with files in the file system and differences
> in Docker
> environments (no idea, I don't know how Guix works, but perhaps it needs some
> special
> privilege enabled when it runs inside Docker containers?), but layers
> themselves do not
> prevent file deletion inside a container.

No, it is how Docker is designed.  Maybe the terminology "layer" is
not the Docker one but when the images are chained, one cannot remove
the data of the previous layer of the total image.

> It is possible to host your own external Runners, and have them utilized by
> CI/CD jobs running inside the GitLab cloud service. You could install Guix
> on them and configure your CI/CD pipeline to require execution of certain
> jobs on these custom runners. But I'm not sure I see why that would help?

Because if you run Guix outside an Docker container, you will not have
the issue.  The main issue is how the Docker "filesystem" is designed.

All the best,
simon