Git clients struggle with Guix

From: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton
Subject: Git clients struggle with Guix
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 15:19:44 +0300

Hi,

I'm having trouble managing the Guix repo with git clients. Both gitg
and magit choke on it when I tell them to open it. Magit hangs for a
couple minutes before showing the status view, and every further action
leads to another freeze. Running git commands from the terminal is fast, as
expected, no problem there.

I haven't had this problem in the past. For my last few patches I staged
and committed everything from Magit and it worked extremely fast.

Here's some system info:

GNU Guix System with guix on 3d80e618ddbd40342ed7e69f898801e8e3a64eaa
git  : 2.27.0
emacs: 26.3 (this happens both with vanilla and doom, I don't know if
it's relevant but I'll just say it)
magit: 2.90.1-6.7f486d4 (from Guix)

Any tips on how to deal with this? I haven't got a clue about why it
does this stuff.

Cheers,
Sergiu