Re: Knowing which services to restart

From: Carlo Zancanaro
Subject: Re: Knowing which services to restart
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 21:08:06 +1000

On Wed, Jul 08 2020, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> Couldn't Guix be smarter about this?  Or at least provide a less puzzling
> message.

This was brought up when we originally implemented upgrading of services on a
live system. The discussion about this starts in an email from Ludovic[1], and
proceeds from there (although you'll have to skip over some other unrelated
conversations).

There are definitely ways that things can be improved. I made an attempt at
doing this at the end of 2018[2], but that didn't result in anything being
merged into Guix. I don't think we've yet settled on an approach for how to
resolve this (and the related issue of automatically upgrading services).

Carlo

[1]: https://issues.guix.info/22039#11
[2]: https://issues.guix.info/33508