Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 09:22:54 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> <rant>
> Sadly, Guile seems to care only about one OS: GNU/Linux, and more or
> less disregard the rest.  Features are added that clearly cannot
> easily work on other OSes, let alone non-Posix ones, and with each
> such new feature producing a working MinGW port becomes harder and
> harder, even for experienced hackers.

This is one of the biggest worries I have with the time I put into
Guile: Many of my friends are still on Windows and in the current state
of Guile I won’t be able to create tools that help them.

Creating installers for Windows was bad with Python, it is much worse
with Guile. I wish I could just do something like
guild package --target windows -o my-program.exe entry-point.scm

This prevents people from using Guile for anything that might have to be
cross-platform (though the Lilypond folks got it working
https://lilypond.org/windows.de.html).

> Please don't bother replying to this rant, it's just FYI, to convey my
> personal recollections and experiences from doing the 2.0.x port, and
> I don't intend to argue about it.
> </rant>

I replied, because I did not intend to argue but rather support your
point. While Guile is easiest to use on GNU Linux, a Windows port is a
hard requirement if we want Guile to be useful as a platform for writing
programs. There is GTK for Windows and it would be nice if we could
actually script it from Guile:
https://www.gtk.org/docs/installations/windows/

Best wishes,
Arne