Desktop graphics cards with working acceleration?

From: Matthew Brooks
Subject: Desktop graphics cards with working acceleration?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 20:11:32 -0500

Does anyone happen to know of any desktop graphics cards that have working
acceleration for basic gaming (compatible with a PCI express x16 slot)? My
laptop has an integrated intel card, so it can play basic stuff (Doom, etc.)
just fine, but my desktop pretty much turns anything gaming related into a
slideshow, despite it having far better specs, since my current card requires
proprietary drivers for proper performance.

I did a bit of internet searching, but didn't find any results that looked
relevant.