Re: Newbie tries to add a snippet to an origin

From: divoplade
Subject: Re: Newbie tries to add a snippet to an origin
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 18:23:23 +0200

Thank you so much for your help, now I can build both packages without
hassle. The filled-in module template is dynamically computed [1], so I
do not need to care about passing the version number around.

https://framagit.org/divoplade/pomdappi/-/jobs/1068726/artifacts/raw/public/divoplade/packages/pomdappi.scm

Le samedi 01 août 2020 à 09:00 -0700, John Soo a écrit :
> Since you are using the gnu build system, I suggest making your
> version number a variable in the makefile. The good part of using a
> make variable is that you can use $(shell git describe ...) normally
> and override it when building with guix. You can use the make or
> configure flags arguments to override the version number with the
> guix package version number.

I don't think it is wise to let the user update the version number with
a simple configure switch or make variable; it could make things very
confusing for debugging. Updating the version number is more of a
maintainer task, so it makes sense to write it in stone during the
maintainer phase (bootstrap / autoreconf).

divoplade