Re: Hide boot process logs

From: Reza Alizadeh Majd
Subject: Re: Hide boot process logs
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 22:12:15 +0430

Hi Tobias!

Thanks for your response.

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 18:04:05 +0200
Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote:
> Hi Reza!
>
> Reza Alizadeh Majd 写道:
> > I want to hide the boot process logs in Guix, having a quick
> > search I
> > found that I can use following options in grub configuration
> > file:
> >

> > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
>
> Forget this line.  No part of it makes sense on Guix (except
> ‘quiet’, which is handled by the kernel itself, and see below for
> that).
>

> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT (and similar-looking variables) is used
> only by the ‘update-grub’ utility on some distributions that uses
> a bash configuration file to configure a bash script that creates
> the final (bash-like) grub.cfg.

so as I understand, `update-grub` utility generate entries in a way to
perform a quiet boot using `GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT` parameter.
do you think if it's possible to perform these changes manually to menu
entries?

I also find that we can redirect kernel logs to a separated TTY using
`GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=tty...`. I assume this parameter is also
processed by `update-grub` utility. is it possible to perform same
action using `kernel-arguments` or some other modification in menu
entries?

--
Reza Alizadeh Majd
PantherX Team