Re: How to create a substitute server with substitutes that failed?

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: How to create a substitute server with substitutes that failed?
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 22:32:52 +0200

> On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 13:18, "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>
> wrote:
>
>> What I want is just to put the required substitute archives on a server
>> for others to download. Ungoogled Chromium takes so long that only one
>> person should ever have to build it (and I need it for work, so I can be
>> that one person).
>
> Since “guix publish” does not fit your needs, this old draft [1] using
> IPFS to distribute substitutes probably neither.  But maybe your
> use-case could be an interesting test for the patch set. :-)
>
> [1]: http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/33899

It looks really interesting, but I’m surprised at the amount of
complexity that goes into that. I had thought that just putting files by
key would be easier.

So even with this I still haven’t seen anything to date that’s
conceptually simpler than the Gnutella Download-Mesh for swarming
downloads.

Best wishes,
Arne
--