Re: Problems with McCLIM (Common Lisp)

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Problems with McCLIM (Common Lisp)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 16:40:41 +0200

Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> writes:

> To try and side-step the aforementioned issues with Guix's bundling
> code, I tried using the compile-bundle-op operation and a few others,
> and none of them worked with package-inferred systems. I believe I did
> some research and found that there was some esoteric reason these
> operations didn't work with package-inferred systems. I would be
> delighted if they did.

I had a discussion with upstream ASDF: if I recall correctly,
compile-bundle-op is not (easily) compatible with package-inferred
style.
Anyways, we should not use compile-bundle-op: this would solve so many
issues, including this one.

> We do need to overhaul how we package Common Lisp software in general.
> Regardless of whether the functionality we're discussing works, I think
> we have many more "standard" options for laying out packages and fasls
> on disk. We might want to consider looking closely at what Quicklisp
> does and see if we can't map that onto the store.

Quicklisp does not compile the Lisp files: it's roughly equivalent to
our cl-* packages.  So there is not much to learn from Quicklisp because
what we want here is provide pre-compiled packages.

And thanks for your numerous contributions! :)

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/