How do I set LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH?

From: divoplade
Subject: How do I set LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH?
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 22:58:36 +0200

Hello guix,

I have written a small C guile module to access (some parts of) the GNU
nettle library. I can install it with guix, but then if I try to load
it from within an environment:

guix environment --ad-hoc guile guile-nettle -- guile <<EOF
(load-extension "libguile-nettle" "init_nettle")
EOF

guile does not find "libguile-nettle" (In procedure dynamic-link: file:
"libguile-nettle", message: "file not found")

This is because guile expects it to be in LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH, and guix
does not set that up.

How do I do that? Can I just update my package definition? I did not
find any modules that even mentions LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH; however I found
this in r-with-tests:

    (native-search-paths
     (list (search-path-specification
            (variable "R_LIBS_SITE")
            (files (list "site-library/")))))

Am I correct in assuming that if I put "LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH" as the
variable and "lib/" as the files, an environment containing my library
will set LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH=lib/ or is there a catch?

Best regards,

divoplade