Re: Please recommend zero-hassle video card for GUIX

From: Yasuaki Kudo
Subject: Re: Please recommend zero-hassle video card for GUIX
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 14:15:31 +0900

Hi Maxim and everybody,

First of all, thank you all for your replies and I wish to thank the FSF and
the community for this whole "blob" discussion.  I had absolutely no idea that:

* Linux had "blob" sections
* GNU (predictably though πŸ˜…) would go the distance, remove them all and call it
Linux-libre, and that's what Guix uses
* All newer video cards (GPUs), regardless of vendor, need those "blobs" to be
supplied by Linux kernel before they function (presumably so they can fix bugs
post production and since it is so close to hardware and architecture, they
feel the source code for the blobs to be their "intellectual property" ?)

So, although this will probably not be my first Guix-learning project, there is
a way around this by using the "inferior", "backdoor", repository I read that I
should not utter in this channel πŸ˜…

All-in-all, it feel that Guix is very appropriate for my purpose - learn the
techniques of constructing highly customizable software for the end-users,
(barring the controversial subject of  allowing proprietary components, of
course πŸ˜…)

-Yasu