Stopped getting TTY login prompt after boot, can still ssh in

From: Matthew Brooks
Subject: Stopped getting TTY login prompt after boot, can still ssh in
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2020 10:45:56 -0500

I recently (about the past few weeks or so) stopped getting a login prompt at
the tty after booting my desktop computer. In the past it would occasionally do
this, but it would usually bring one up after a reboot or two. Now, it just
doesn't.

I can log in through ssh, however, so the system is running, I'm just no longer
getting the login prompt at a tty, and I cannot switch to other ttys.

I just did a pull and reconfigure last night, so everything should be up to
date as far as system packages. The guix version used to build the system most
recently is commit "f7f5caf7ea78d2c257a081c8fcf212e507fe2ab6".

The only thing on screen that looks possibly relevant is:
>populating /etc from /gnu/store/abivcbvg8liif754vdmfnbc72qwlyk82-etc...
>error in finalization thread: Bad file descriptor
Though I don't remember if that's ever shown up when it actually gave me a
working tty or not.

I don't see any obvious errors in dmesg, but I've attached it just in case.

Here's the services section from the system's scm definition file, which,
according to the timestamps, has been the same since late march:
> (services (cons*
>
>           (static-networking-service
>                                      <Network details snipped>
>                                      )
>
>            (service openssh-service-type
>                     <ssh details snipped>
>                     )
>
>           (extra-special-file "/usr/bin/env"
>                               (file-append coreutils "/bin/env"))
>
>           (dbus-service)
>           (elogind-service)
>
>           (modify-services
>            %base-services
>            (guix-service-type
>             config =>
>             (guix-configuration
>              (inherit config)
>              (use-substitutes? #f)
>              (authorized-keys '())
>              (substitute-urls '())
>              (extra-options '("--gc-keep-derivations=yes"
> "--gc-keep-outputs=yes" "--no-substitutes"))
>              ))
>            )
>
>           ))

Any help is appreciated, and if there's any other info I can give to help
narrow it down, just let me know.