Re: guix environment ad-hoc manifests

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: guix environment ad-hoc manifests
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 18:22:46 +0200

Dear,

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 11:10, Reza Alizadeh Majd <r.majd@pantherx.org> wrote:

> working with guix environments, we can pass list of packages, using a
> manifest file. we also can use --ad-hoc switch for additional packages
> we need to add to the prepared environment.
>
> it would also be great to be able to pass list of ad-hoc packages,
> using a manifest file, something like --ad-hoc-manifest switch. or
> maybe there is such option already available that I missed.

>From my understanding, as Ricardo said, the command:

   guix environment -m my-manifest.scm

is equivalent to:

  guix environment --ad-hoc pkg1 pkg2 pkg3

And moreover, you can also do:

  guix environment -m my-manifest.scm --ad-hoc my-package

What could be missing is to pass a manifest file and provide all the
required packages used to build all the packages listed in the
manifest.  Other said, there is no equivalent at the manifest level
of:

  guix environment pkg1 pkg2 pkg3

or even this:

   guix environment pkg1 pkg2 pkg3 --ad-hoc pkg4 pkg5 pkg6

To be clear, it is possible but the API is not straightforward.

Is it what you mean?

Hope that helps,
simon