Re: Workflow with mu4e + magit for sending patchsets to guix?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Workflow with mu4e + magit for sending patchsets to guix?
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 00:49:19 +0100

Hi Chris

+CC Kyle since they probably knows the status [1].

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 at 15:28, Christopher Lemmer Webber
<cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:

> I've been making patchset series of emails to guix-patches manually.
> I'm sure this is the wrong thing to do.  I use mu4e + magit and know
> others have a similar setup.
>
> What do you all do?

I am sending really few patches so my workflow is probably not
optimized.  What I do is from magit-status:

 1. Select the commits
 2. W c
    C-m b origin/master RET
    C-m l
 3. Edit the cover letter
 4. !! send-email --to=guix-patches@gnu.org 0000-cover-letter.patch
 5. Wait and refresh my inbox
 6. !! send-email --to=12345@gnu.org 000?-*.patch

Be careful if other patches remain in your current worktree.

Note base-commit which provides the information against which commit the
series applies.  It is really helpful for applying; especially if the
series falls in the crack *or* for the “new” tool b4 and the Emacs
front-end piem [2].  See thread here [3]. :-)

AFAIK, there is no ’send-email’ support with Magit.  I have never check
the built-in vc-mode.

What I have understood is that Magit-forge should implement ’send-email’
as a backend (forge) but it has not happened yet.  Or I missed the
news. :-)

I am curious to know how others Emacsers fellows do.

Hope that helps,
simon

1: <https://github.com/magit/magit/issues/2499>
2: <https://git.kyleam.com/piem/about/>