Curious issue about guile-ssh, guix deploy, etc

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: Curious issue about guile-ssh, guix deploy, etc
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 17:57:08 -0500

I'm setting up a "guix deploy" setup across my machines.  A pretty good
experience overall!  However I encountered a weird issue.  I'm uncertain
if it prompts trying to fix anything or not so I'm sending to help-guix
instead... but at the least maybe it'll help others who are bumping into
the same issue.

After getting it to work under "cwebber", I thought I'd make an "admin"
user and figured, this is the user I'll make to ssh into all my machines
and run the system upgrade, because I plan on doing the sudoers NOPASSWD
thing specifically for that user.  Reasonable enough of a plan, except...

For whatever reason, it wouldn't work once I switched it over to the new
"admin" user!  I kept getting errors like:

  guix deploy: error: failed to deploy neodusty: Guile modules not found on
remote host 'my-server-here'

Hm, what's going on?  So I log in as admin@my-server-here.  Hm, I
immediately notice one thing is different from cwebber@my-server-here...
my bash prompt looks different:

  -bash-5.0$

So unflavored!  Maybe this is because I initially set up admin as
(system? #t) or etc...  So then I found this old thread:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-02/msg00482.html

Hm okay, so I installed guix in admin's user profile.  No luck!  Okay
I guess, next I install guile then... okay still no luck.  What the
heck?

Then I think about the bash prompt again... it couldn't be... could it?

I copy over the .bashrc and .bash_profile from cwebber's homedir and...
suddenly everything works!

This seems semi surprising but I guess... maybe it makes sense... I kind
of figured that I wouldn't need to have special files in the user's
homedir in order to find the default environment variables and etc on
guixsd.  Guess I was wrong.

 - Chris