Re: Unison with non-Guix machines

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Unison with non-Guix machines
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 23:33:03 +0100

Hi Andreas,

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 20:05, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:

> Fatal error: Server: Fatal error during unmarshaling (input_value: ill-formed
> message),
> possibly because client and server have been compiled with differentversions
> of the OCaml compiler.
> (there are weird languages out there!)
>
> Previously, I had somehow managed to copy a statically linked unison to the
> other machine (which does not run Guix). Do you have a tip on how I can
> obtain such a version? Possibly with Guix? Or do I need to compile it
> by hand?

What is the one machine not running Guix?  GNU Linux or something else?

If the other machine is not running Guix but still GNU linux, you can
use “guix pack -RR” and then point the executable to the right location.

  /path/to/relocate/bin/unison

If this does not work, and you cannot change the Unison on the other
machine, you can always roll-back to your previous unison.  Somehow,

  guix time-machine --commit=<commit> -- install unison -p /path/to/

where <commit> is the last commit with an Unison working.  Then,

   /path/to/profile/bin/unison

Hope that helps,
simon