Re: Replacing python venv - environment or profile?

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Replacing python venv - environment or profile?
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 00:34:15 +0100

Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> writes:

> I'm new the Guix and considering adopting it as an expansion to my
> current use of Python virtual environments in development and
> production, to include other non-Python packages too.

As far as I see it, guix environment is what you get from a virtualenv,
plus a good deal more. I start more complex programs nowadays by pulling
in their dependencies in a small startup file. The following is my
actual command for running IntelliJ with custom libraries and the
correct libstdc++:

exec -a "$0" guix environment --ad-hoc openjdk@14 openjdk@14:jdk
gcc-toolchain@10.2 -- bash -c
"LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/home/arne/.guix-profile/lib:$(realpath
~/.guix-profile/lib/libsqlite3.so):/gnu/store/qj38f3vi4q1d7z30hkpaxyajv49rwamb-gcc-10.2.0-lib/lib/:."'
 IDEA_JDK="$(dirname $(dirname $(realpath $(which java))))" exec -a "$0" bash
-x idea-IU-193.6911.18/bin/idea.sh'

I used the environment for something closer to your example for actual
day-work to get a local environment with java 8 and documented that
briefly:

https://www.draketo.de/software/guix-work.html#org07ebedd

    # download and unpack tomcat and enter the folder, then call
    guix environment --ad-hoc icedtea@3.7.0
    bin/startup.sh

I know that this 3-liner does not look so awesome, but it is crazy how
many problems it can solve :-)

Best wishes,
Arne
--