Re: Replacing python venv - environment or profile?

From: Phil
Subject: Re: Replacing python venv - environment or profile?
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 20:35:18 +0000

Much appreciated Arne - lots of interesting stuff on your website - a few
comments below too.

Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide writes:

> As far as I see it, guix environment is what you get from a virtualenv,
> plus a good deal more. I start more complex programs nowadays by pulling
> in their dependencies in a small startup file. The following is my
> actual command for running IntelliJ with custom libraries and the
> correct libstdc++:
>
> exec -a "$0" guix environment --ad-hoc openjdk@14 openjdk@14:jdk
> gcc-toolchain@10.2 -- bash -c
> "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/home/arne/.guix-profile/lib:$(realpath
> ~/.guix-profile/lib/libsqlite3.so):/gnu/store/qj38f3vi4q1d7z30hkpaxyajv49rwamb-gcc-10.2.0-lib/lib/:."'
>  IDEA_JDK="$(dirname $(dirname $(realpath $(which java))))" exec -a "$0" bash
> -x idea-IU-193.6911.18/bin/idea.sh'

Cool so Intellij starts up inside it's own environment with specific
toolchain and JDK requirements.

One question - is there any reason to use 'guix environment' rather than
have a profile setup with packages you need that you could then source
and start idea.sh from?