Re: Build determinism, dependency granularity, and dependency scope

From: Stephen Scheck
Subject: Re: Build determinism, dependency granularity, and dependency scope
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 13:38:41 -0500

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 10:52 PM raingloom <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:

> Multiple versions leads to more maintenance burden and a bigger store.

That is true, but IMO with Guix's focus on build determinism and
repeatability, it's a price that must be paid.

> But I admit I didn't really investigate which exact module versions
> Yggdrasil is compatible with.

As an end-user, if I'm installing the Yggdrasil package with a specific
version, say 0.3.15, that corresponds to a specific Git commit tag, I want
that package to maintain fidelity with the dependency versions locked down
by the upstream project maintainers. As it stands, the Guix dependency
declaration mechanism is lossy, flattening out dependencies to a single
global scope which all packages in a profile must assume.

Unfortunately, for me, that really limits its usefulness.