Manual: why not restart service over killing the process

From: EuAndreh
Subject: Manual: why not restart service over killing the process
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 11:58:03 -0300

Hi!

The manual suggests a deploy-hook for the certbot-service-type that
looks like this:

(define %nginx-deploy-hook
  (program-file
   "nginx-deploy-hook"
   #~(let ((pid (call-with-input-file "/var/run/nginx/pid" read)))
       (kill pid SIGHUP))))

Instead of requiring the deploy-hook to know the path of the PID file,
why not restart the Shepherd service instead? Something like this:

(define %nginx-deploy-hook
  (program-file
   "nginx-deploy-hook"
   (with-imported-modules '((gnu services herd))
     #~(begin
         (use-modules (gnu services herd))
         (restart-service 'nginx)))))

If I understood correctly, those would result in equivalent outcomes,
and I tend to find the latter a more elegant approach. It is a bit
longer, but I like more restarting the service rather than killing the
process. Is there any downside I'm missing?

I can send a patch to the manual if this seems reasonable.