Re: Avoiding PYTHONPATH - latest?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Avoiding PYTHONPATH - latest?
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 14:05:58 +0100

Hi,

I have not re-read all the discussion about PYTHONPATH and co.

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 at 00:22, Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> wrote:

> But the current PYTHONPATH implementation immediately runs into problems
> when you use venvs for development, via the cannonical "pip install -e
> .".  The use of PYTHONPATH means that venvs are not created pure, they
> inherit Guix's python env which is the exact opposite to what any
> non-Guix python developer would expect.

Just to understand, is your point to be able to mix both “pip install“
and “guix install”?  If yes, it appears to me a bad idea, choose one or
the other.

> I was wondering what the current thoughts were on how Guix could
> workaround using PYTHONPATH to set base system paths?

Well, I do not remember more than the attempt of GUIX_PYTHONPATH.

All the best,
simon