Re: Avoiding PYTHONPATH - latest?

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: Avoiding PYTHONPATH - latest?
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 19:06:57 +0800

Hello!

Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> writes:
>> I've been having an argument with myself over the last 4 days about if
>> Guix's use of PYTHONPATH is a necessary evil or avoidable on a foreign OS.
>>
>> I've found references to a similar discussion last year, and reference
>> to using a 'fake virtual environment' (does anyone have a reference to
>> the other thread referenced where fake venvs are demonstrated as not
>> working):

I remembered did that too, I think it works in most cases.
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-03/msg00223.html>

>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-06/msg00204.html
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-06/msg00221.html
>>
>> I had what I think is a similar idea over the weekend and tried it out.
>>
>> Reading the mechanics of venvs as per PEP:
>> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0405
>>
>> I decided to see if I added a fake pyvenv.cfg to the python.scm package
>> could allow for us to drop the use of PYTHONPATH completely.

I had came up with adding another environment variable
‘GUIX_PYTHON_X_Y_SITE_PACKAGES’:
  <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-03/msg00226.html>

But didn’t made it in, feel free take it if useful, thanks!