Re: Where are suggestions or open discussions of Guix at large made?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Where are suggestions or open discussions of Guix at large made?
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 01:41:36 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 07 Dec 2020 at 22:55, znavko@disroot.org wrote:
> Guix repeats the idea of Nix, but realising it more preciously and
> elegantly.

The word “repeat” is incorrect here.  It is more appropriated to say:
Guix is based on the idea of Nix or Guix applies similar ideas pioneered
by Nix.

The divergence is clear enough since the very beginning to not repeat
the confusing / wrong: “Guix is a fork of Nix implemented in Scheme”.

> It is hard to package some software you like for Guix,

It depends on how much Love are we ready to put in? :-)

> but forking guix breaking its elegance for just to install firmware,
> Oracle, Chrome and other stuff is not rational at all, i think.

The concept of channels avoids to fork and instead allow to extend.  It
is possible to extend by adding packages, as the channel guix-past for
instance, or by adding subcommands, as the channel home-manager
illustrates for example.

> If you want popular comfortable OS on your home computer, that is not
> idea of Guix.

Popular is meaningless here.  Comfortable, if not then I feel I am
failing and so please point your unpleasant experience and then let’s
see how to fix it. :-)

All the best,
simon