Re: Can I easily install GNU Emacs 27.1.50 via Guix?

From: Carlo Zancanaro
Subject: Re: Can I easily install GNU Emacs 27.1.50 via Guix?
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 15:03:39 +1100

Hi Simon,

On Fri, Dec 18 2020, zimoun wrote:
When I launch Debian's Evince from Guix's emacs-maint, Evince cannot find my local printer. Look at the messages when I open Evince in an Emacs shell and open Evince's print dialog:

Well, it seems expected, isn’t it? ...

I don't think "expected" is the right way to put this. I think "explainable" is more accurate. I think it's reasonable to expect that opening Debian's Evince from within Emacs would be able to find the printers. The fact that it cannot is a bug introduced by Guix's use of environment variables.

I run into a similar problem where my window manager (awesomewm) sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which then propagates to everything I run from my session. It's quite a pain. I thought there was an open issue for this, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Carlo