Re: Install `guix pull'ed Guix to target partition on system install

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Install `guix pull'ed Guix to target partition on system install
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 14:33:31 +0100

> Therefore, since the 2 profiles could be seen as independent, I do not
> know if it is possible to really improve here; by design.
>
> The first pull could be long and resource hungry but the second one
> should be a bit quicker.  Well, it depends on how many commits are done
> in the meantime (between the 2 pulls).

Maybe there is a misunderstanding: the first pull happens on the
installation media, thus it disappears when I reboot on the installed
system.

What I think we should do is that when we run `guix system init`, we
would copy the checkout to the store, and then when `guix pull` is run
the first time on the newly installed system, it would get the git repo
from the store and optionally fetch the remaining git commits if there
is any.

Thoughts?

--
Pierre Neidhardt