Re: Install `guix pull'ed Guix to target partition on system install

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Install `guix pull'ed Guix to target partition on system install
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 18:53:19 +0100

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 18:12, Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:
> zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Well, I do not understand what is your issue.  Because I am probably not
>> enough familiar with the installation process.
>
> It's actually quite simple: The "guix pull" done when running the
> installation media is not persisted on the target disk.

The “guix pull” done by root.  But then you run “guix pull” as user;
your words. :-)

Anyway, the consuming part should not be the cloning but the computing
and building derivations.

As I said, maybe what is done on the installation media could be
transferred to the target installation via “guix archive --export” and
“guix archive --import”, probably via piping.

> Maybe there is something else.  Could it be slow hardware?  I'm not
> sure, but it took hell of a long time to fetch check out the repository.

I do not know what you are doing but in this half an hour, the cloning
part is nothing, or you have a network at 125Kbits/s and not at
6Mbits/s.  Well, by default the repo is 230Mbits or I miss something.
It is not nothing but not huge neither; compared to video streaming for
example.  (I speak for French network infrastructures, because I lived
in place where 125Kbits/s is a dream.)

Maybe your roommates or neighbor are enjoying the connection. ;-)

Or maybe, you had bad luck with Savannah.

Cheers,
simon