Full Disk Encryption

From: sullentrapdoor
Subject: Full Disk Encryption
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 03:54:38 -0500

Hello! I was happy to see that lvm support was recently added to Guix System. This brings two questions.

The documentation is not clear on what LVM can even be used for at the moment. In the file `/gnu/tests/install.scm` from Guix, it mentions "guix currently doesn't allow root-on-LVM". I do not see a mention of this anywhere else in the documentation. I am not sure if this is true and if it, why it is true. Will support for "root-on-LVM" come soon?

If the above situation is possible, I would like to install Guix System with full disk encryption. Currently, I have two partitions on my disk, one the EFI and the other one a LUKS partition with LVM. On LVM I have a root, home, and swap partition. Is there any way at the moment that I can simply install Guix System to my root partition without modifying my luks/lvm setup?

Thank you!