Re: Emacs 27.1 crashes on input method selection

From: Peng Mei Yu
Subject: Re: Emacs 27.1 crashes on input method selection
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 11:57:16 +0800

Hi Zelphir,

Zelphir Kaltstahl writes:

> I installed Emacs 27.1. via GNU Guix and I found one action, which
> always crashes Emacs in this version, while it did not do that before:
>
> M-x set-input-method RET chinese-py RET
>
> It crashes completely and shows no error, simply goes down. Am I the
> only one? Does it happen for anyone else? I am assuming, that this only
> happens with the GNU Guix installed version of Emacs, but have not
> tested that.
>
> My system is a Trisquel 8 on an X200.

I don't know what is the cause here.  `set-input-method chinese-py` in
Emacs installed via guix works for me on both Guix System and NixOS.

By the way, if you are interested in Chinese input method, I suggest you
try pyim and emacs-rime.  As a native Chinese, I can confidently say
these two packages are far more better than the built-in chinese-py.  No
Chinese emacs user uses chinese-py to input Chinese characters.

https://github.com/tumashu/pyim
https://github.com/DogLooksGood/emacs-rime

--
Peng Mei Yu