Why Emacs config file disables Welcome message only if this line places

From: znavko
Subject: Why Emacs config file disables Welcome message only if this line places to .emacs but not in .emacs.d/init.el
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 17:54:06 +0000

Hello! I plan to type some russian translations for guix manual sometimes again.

I still have undergraduate level of emacs and have annoying ignorance of how to
configure emacs.

For example this line can hide "Welcome" frame:
(setq inhibit-startup-screen t)

I placed it into ~/.emacs.d/.init.el where I have placed my po-mode lines and
they works.
But exactly this line does not work. I have po-mode in emacs but I still have
"Welcome" window.

I placed this line "(setq inhibit-startup-screen t)" to ~/.emacs and I finally
got "Welcome" window away.

My next step is russian spell check. Need to have some basics of how to deal
with this great instrument!

Can you advice some good tutorials for better understanding emacs?