Re: EXWM: file or program not found, ls

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: EXWM: file or program not found, ls
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 17:21:35 +0100

Hi,

You most probably have an issue with your dotfiles.
Some comments below:

Olivier Rojon <o.rojon@posteo.net> writes:

>   #!/usr/bin/env bash
> . /etc/profile &
> . ~/.bashrc &
> exec exwm

Remove the trailing `&`.  This syntax is used to start processes in the
background, but here you are sourcing configuration files which should
be done synchronously.

> - I had manually defined PATH in .bashrc, which I believe might have
> overriden other attempts at defining it (even though it contains :$PATH
> at the end)

It may have a typo.  Try commenting out any modification done to PATH
and try again.

> - I did what is sometimes advised when you install a package, that you
> should add the following lines to your shell:

> GUIX_PROFILE="/home/hapster/.guix-profile"
> . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"
>
> However, I had not added an "export" in front of "GUIX_PROFILE", which
> might be part of the problem.

Nope, it should not matter if the second line was applied properly.

> But as you can see, I am kind of struggling to find the cause of the
> problem. ;-)

Try creating a new user with no modifications done to the dotfiles.
Then import your dotfiles gradually do see which one triggers the issue.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/