Re: Does Guix provide security support for Python2? For how long?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Does Guix provide security support for Python2? For how long?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 18:07:40 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 17:02, Jorge P. de Morais Neto
<jorge+list@disroot.org> wrote:

> Hi.  I use Guix on a foreign distro---Debian buster (current stable).  I
> want to upgrade Debian to bullseye (current testing), but bullseye does
> not provide security support for Python 2.  I still use Python 2 for
> OfflineIMAP.  There is a Python 3 port of OfflineIMAP, but it was done
> very recently and I fear it is probably be buggy.  So I would like to
> install Guix Python 2 atop Debian bullseye just for OfflineIMAP.  Would
> that work fine?  Does Guix, unlike Debian bullseye, still provide
> security support for Python 2?  For how long?

As far as I know, Guix provides the security support that upstream releases.

Using the Guix time-machine, the code that works now should work
exactly the same in the future, even if Python 2 is removed in the
future Guix releases.  Does it make sense?

All the best,
simon