Re: Output all dependencies recursively for package

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Output all dependencies recursively for package
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 20:09:57 +0100

Hi Phil,

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 at 12:59, Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm looking for a recursive list of all bar@version given package
> foo?
>
> Something like:
> guix show --recursive-dependencies foo
>
> Giving:
> dependencies: bar@version, some-dependency-of-bar@version

I proposed something like that:

  <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/43477>

adding a «backend» to “guix graph”.  In my mind, it was exactly the use
case you are describing with the option to select the “type” of the
graph.  It has been “rejected” (not the word, but too lazy to find the
adequate one), mainly because I just wanted to list all the nodes
(topologically sorted or not) and Ludo and Ricardo raised that it is not
about “graph”.  Anyway.

Maybe it could go to “guix show”.  However, the current implementation
of “guix show” uses “guix package --show=”, literally.  And adding more
things in “guix package” does not seem a good idea, IHMO.

In other words, instead of use (guix scripts package) in (guix scripts
show), do the contrary.  I have a patch that do that but never
submitted because I have never felt the need or time to.  Anyway.

With the current tools, “guix refresh --list-transitive” maybe is enough
for your needs.  Note that the returned packages are not necessary the
ones you can access at the CLI level, for instance ’gcc’.

Hope that helps,
simon